Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Harlem


For homework we were to read three poems that were assigned in our lit reader. Of the three poems assigned my favorite one was Harlem by Langston Hughes. Langston Hughes was a poet during the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s. The poem Harlem is about a dream that has been deferred.  From my point of view I viewed the poem as in meaning what happens when you dream and just sit around and not go through with your dreams. When he says "or does it explode, I think he means does the dream just go away because you never went through with it the dream just sat around. I think I liked this poem a lot, because it put me in the mind set to push myself to the goals that I want to accomplish short term as well as long term. Also, the poem gives you different feelings/ emotions on how it feels when dreams get deferred. This poem was short and straightforward without any hidden messages which you had to think and make up what you think happened or could of happened, but I do wonder since Langston Hughes wrote this poem did a dream of his ever get deferred and what influenced him to write this poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment